Photobucket

1.12.2010

NEW YEARS, a little late... :)

The New Year. 2010. I think I'm going to make this year really count. I keep hearing people say how every year they make goals and then don't accomplish them, or even better they did accomplish them. I'd love to say that I fall into either category, but sadly enough, I usually don't even get to setting the goal... seriously? How sad is that? So this year is gonna be different, even though I'm already a couple weeks in, better late then never!!! 
Ok, so a friend had a great idea. Instead of doing year long goals, she is going to make monthly goals that she can accomplish over the whole year. I LOVED that idea, I have a very tough time staying focussed and keeping up with stuff, basically I get bored. So this hopefully will be a way for me to start life long habits, and give myself a little success!
The first thing I needed to decide on: Where do I need to improve? Well that was easy, I have a lot of areas I'd like to work on. I narrowed it down to two: Area 1. Spiritually. I am so lucky to get to be around a lot of other moms that I really admire. And I get to see and learn things from them,  and then decide what I want to use in my home while starting to raise my own kids. I have found a common denominator among those moms whose households seem to be so in order. They all read their scriptures everyday.  Goal #1 Read my scriptures everyday. yes. everyday. no exceptions. and then really try and apply them to my life.
Area 2. My mommy-ness. The other day I was talking with Ryan after a very long restless nights sleep (aka: I had a lot of time to think about just stuff, you know those nights?) about what career I would have if I could choose ANY job in the entire world. Now, if you know me, you know, I HATE being home all day. I go crazy, I just like to be out doing...doing anything really. So after much debate, I came up with a magazine editor, in NYC. Fancy earrings, perfect hair, heated deadlines, witchy back-stabbing co-workers, fashion shoes...etc. Anyways, I am glad I don't have that option. I really do love my job, and it IS perfect for me. I love being a mommy and a wifey. So here it is: I think I need to make some mental changes and truly learn to be grateful that I GET to be home with my daughter < i am mentioning emily right now, she is reading over my shoulder and wanted me to mention her. i love her. > and that I GET to be the homemaker and set the household vibe each day for my family. That is a pretty awesome responsibility, and I think I take it for granted. Well, since I am now on my ever so lovely bed-rest I get to be home, well, A LOT and for a very long time. So this is my month to make these changes. 
Goal #2: PROJECTS. projects, projects, and more projects to improve my home, to give away, to do with Milly, and to most important- to help me enjoy being home more and use the time I've been given at home and run with it...cause it's my life!!!  
 
Alright, 2 goals? That should plenty for me to work on this month. 
Ok. Here is my first project of the month: I have seen these little lovey blankys for babies and kept thinking that shouldn't be too hard. So I actually did it!! YAY! And I do need to give a special shout out to my awesome sister Joanna, she held my hand while learning to sew!! She is like a superstar on the sewing machine!!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

You can start by giving away that blankie to me, hahaha! Seriously, can I live by Joanna, too? Way adorable and way to go Mims for taking the dive and learning to sew... who would of thunk that a TOY child could sew (though I know our mom did a bit)??? GREAT goals... Great ideas. Bed rest stinks for you especially, hope you get lots of fun projects for those girlies going... you are so good at that. Love your new place- wish it were in OUR backyard again. Glad you mentioned Emily.

Richard and McKenna said...

That is the darn cutest blanket EVER!!! I wish you were to here to show me how to make it! I sure miss hanging out with you! Also, I have to say that what you said about scripture study is so true. My mom is like seriously the best mom ever and she always makes time to read her scriptures before she starts the day. I REALLY think it helps her be the amazing mom that she is. I really want to take that example. It does make such a difference. I gotta say that I love the idea of doing monthly goals! I have wanted to do weekly goals this year, but I think it would be a great idea to have monthly focus! You are such an example to me girly!
p.s. I hope you don't go crazy on bedrest! I know I sure would! :)

danny jenson said...

well, at least one benefit from you being on bed rest (if i may be so selfish): more frequent blog posts. yay! good goals, by the way. say 'hi' to emily for me.

The Buckley Family said...

AWESOME blanky. I love the tags! You are awesome. I was just telling Bryan and Elizabeth that you found your niche in life. You are a great mommy!

* Nancy * said...

How fun Mims! Good luck on your monthly goals - YOU CAN DO IT! :)

Ryan, Shayndel, & Kids said...

I hope you are doing alright w/this bedrest thing. I'm like you...I like to be out & about & bed rest might would put me overboard. But you are smart to make the most of it & especially enjoy this precious last several wks. w/the millsters before it's divided time.

Reading this just might actually motivate me to do a few things too...like daily scriptures--can't let baby sister show me up! We haven't even had the subscription to the Ensign renewed in our house for like the last 2 yrs....not 'cause it costs the wopping $10 either. Because, well, I dunnow why...then I guess I'd have to make time to read it or something. So I ordered it yesterday & good times are ahead.

You are a good, fun mom! I'm so happy for you to have the chance to be at home with your little ones too...that truly is a blessing. Love the blankie--great job! What's next?


ADORABLE BABY ACCESSORIES

RELIGION:

Visits from my friends